Tuesday, August 30, 2011

pets and gardens

Woman’s Best Friend




Hi, this is Tracy from Kranky Krab, and I’d like to introduce you to
my best friend, Keiko. Keiko means “to be adored” in Japanese, which
is right on the money!

Keiko is a “mixed-breed” or as my husband and I like to call her a
“Basselope.” She is part Jack Russell, beagle, and basset hound.

Keiko initially was my husband’s dog (before we were married). He
brought her up to Chicago where I was living when she was only a few
months old. The first time she snuggled up on my pillow beside me, it
was all over! She became MY dog!

She has been by my side ever since. To our first apartment together in
Chicago, our move to Orlando, and several moves within Orlando. She
keeps me company when my husband travels for business. I don’t know
what I’d do without her! She is my pride and joy.

When Keiko was about 7 years old, she developed Cushings disease and
had to be given medication every day. At 9 years old, she almost died
from a bad reaction to a pain killer – I was a wreck! Thankfully, she
pulled through. A few years later, her Cushings turned to Addison’s
disease, so now, we have to give her steroids every day. Ha – we’re
not done yet……now, at the ripe age of 14 she has diabetes (2
injections each day) and is deaf and blind.

My sweet little girl, who has been there for me through thick and thin
is now dependent on me to be her seeing eye human. Fortunately, she
doesn’t seem to be too phased by the change and definitely has her
“sniffer” working overtime to compensate. She sure knows when I'm in
the kitchen! She has always been my kitchen helper when I cook and you
can be sure she’ll be the first to help pick up any mess that makes it
to the floor!

I am very thankful to have such a loving, loyal friend in Keiko!



4 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love this story! It is amazing how much our dogs become a real part of the family. Keiko is very lucky to have such a loving family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to meet you, Keiko!
    You are a true "daily companion!"

    ReplyDelete